Dean's Gun Restoration
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1903 Stock Cartouche Question

Default 1903 Stock Cartouche Question

I just got a 1903, 1934 with a finger groove stock. It has the cartouche on the L/H side of the stock, D.A.L. in a Rectangle.

It has a Circle P and a small 5 under the wrist.

It has a small capital "R" in the mag cut off notch.

Fingergroove....no Mark 1 type cut at all.

This isn't a Remington finger groove is it?

TIA, Trax

It is not a Remington stock. It is a Springfield with the D.A.L cartouche used until the 1935/36 time period.
    This is an '03 from the 1922 time period with the D.A.L cartouche and R in the cutoff recess. It also has a 5 on the wrist just above the P proof.

Looks like I have an original stock on thi 1934. Now I have to dump my remington milled lower band and mag cuttoff.

Your stock is original to a Springfield Armory rifle from the 1920's. It would not be correct for a 1934 rifle.

Hope this helps.

J.B.

Pistol Grip would be correct then right? Rick Librarian told me it is quite possible that this stock was added to the gun when it was built up for WW2, hence the few remmy parts. It is a nice stock, has a small crack forward of the trigger guard, I have to take the action out to look at the stock from the channel side. Should clean up well.

Anyone ever notice that Remington lower bands seems to be machined quite a bit thicker then that of original SA lower bands?

I'll add pics of the rifle with more questions tonight or tomorrow....

Quote Originally Posted by Roadkingtrax View Post
    Pistol Grip would be correct then right? Rick Librarian told me it is quite possible that this stock was added to the gun when it was built up for WW2, hence the few remmy parts. It is a nice stock, has a small crack forward of the trigger guard, I have to take the action out to look at the stock from the channel side. Should clean up well.

Anyone ever notice that Remington lower bands seems to be machined quite a bit thicker then that of original SA lower bands?

I'll add pics of the rifle with more questions tonight or tomorrow....
    Unless you have a National Match rifle, a pistol-grip stock would not be correct for your 1934 rifle. The correct stock would be a common grasping groove stock with an overhaul inspection stamp in it (in addition to the original inspection stamp). Your "D.A.L." stock is missing the overhaul inspection stamp (and is actually more desirable and valuable).

There's no telling when and where the current stock was fitted to your rifle. The presence of Remington parts on a rifle is a strong indication of WWII usage.

And, yes, I have noticed that later production Remington milled lower bands are thicker.

Hope this helps.

J.B.

John&Johnny,

Thanks for all of your ID help. I have bigger problems with this rifle and hope to be able to return it.

I took the action from the stock last night I saw that the stock has been duffle cut underneath the upper band. This cut is way loose, resulting in cracks down the entire stock, and even cracking/distorting the rear tang bushing due to unsupported recoil. This rifle is probably 100 rounds from starting a crack at the wrist.

The action had most of the orig finish worn smooth due to age and use, which is part of the appeal to me, but I discovered something unsettling. The rear sight base has only about an inch of metal at the receiver on the bottom. Its like they cut 3/4 of the cylinder away. I don't know if this is a field repair or an old re-barrel botch job on the rear sight base.

It looks like there is about a 3/8" punch mark in the remaining material under the sight base to keep it stationary. Could this also be a small weld? Who knows?

I am not please and sent a kind letter to the Gunbroker seller to let him know what I had discovered. None of these items were disclosed even when I inquired about things that required him to remove the stock to look.....

I'll keep you posted.

+ Reply to Thread