Otis Gun Care
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: M1 Carbine and Hollow Point ammo?

Default M1 Carbine and Hollow Point ammo?

Does the military carbines eat hollow point commerical ammo?

Mine eat my Speer 1394? HP hand loads for lunch. Some report feeding issues. Just for a caution, after I repark'd them I polished the feed ramps. Some use them on hogs in FL, I prepared them for use on predators here in MT (we have definite wolf and coyote problems, in addition to the ubiquitous two legged ones)

As to factory HP rounds. I have used the Winchester rounds though many of my carbines and have not had any feeding problems. But I have had problems using the Hornady 90 and 100 gr. HP XTP bullets in reloaded rounds. I think Speer makes a 110 gr. bullet to reload that should be good for reliable feeding.

Mine's a Plainfield. A direct copy. Haven't loaded anything but Speer 110 grain HP's with IMR4227 for eons. No feeding issues a bath didn't fix. They'll blow a hole the size of a grapefruit in a ground hog. Mind you, the one 30 round mag I have required the mag lips to be opened a tick. That was the mag, not the ammo.
    "...Hornady 90 and 100 gr..." Most likely an OAL issue for the 100 grain bullet. Hornady's 90 grain XTP is a .309" pistol bullet. Isn't made for the carbine. Made for the .30 Luger and .30 Mauser cartridges.
    Spelling and grammar count!

Use the Winchester 110gr HP's in mine. Also reloaded the short-jacket Hornady 100gr. Have smoothed the feed ramp to minimize "stuttering" of the soft-nose ammo.

I've used both factory hollowpoints and my own hollowpoint reloads without any issues in my USGI carbines. My favorite is the 110 grain soft/hollowpoint. I've taken a couple of whitetails using this round, both were one stop shots a 30 yards, and the expansion was impressive.

- Change it back -

Of my 10 carbines all but one feed soft points without a hitch. My Underwood refuses to load even one. I tried HP soft points and had no problem with any of the 9. I don't reload any more so all of mine are commercial loads. I've found that the magazine can affect how SP's load also.
    Just my .02
    J.R.

Thanks guys.

+ Reply to Thread