Dean's Gun Restoration
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Worst .22 ammo ever

Ouch
    You guys are killing me!!
    I have a buttload of Russian steel cased 22, a can of paki .303 AND Aquilla 30 carbine all waiting to be fired
    Once it has been decided to fight, one should do so to the very end, to conquer or perish...... Nothing smells better than the body of a dead enemy.

The meek shall inherit the earth - in little 3x6 plots Robert Heinlein

According to the only real authorative study done on .22 Cal, "A Rifleman's Guide to Rimfire Ammunition" by Steven Boelter, Aguila use Eley priming technology (which they pay for), and Eley manufacturig equipment, installed by Eley (or Eley contractors). Many of their ammunition boxes have the Eley name on them.

Short of using Eley, I find that Aguila gives the closest approximation to the IDEAL .22 Cal. ammunition. I use it in my S&W Model 41, several S&W .22 Cal revolvers, my sons' 10/22, and my Winchester Model 52's (old .22 Cal target rifles). I have not had a problem with either Eley or Aguila; never had a misfire with them. Working at the rifle range, I see a tremendous mount of .22 Cal ammunition fired and the best is usually Eley, with Aguila close and Wolfe target coming in third. People do complain when they have problem, and the only complaint I have heard about Aguila is the same as for Eley and Wolfe: TOO Expensive!

Gyrene VSM - OFC

semper fi

`

Southern Bavaria , between castles and mountains

Last week i shot my Anschütz with the Lapua Trainer Ammo. It is an really good ammo! At 50yards a little bigger hole with ten rounds an at 100 yards its no problem to holdthe bull with ten rounds. Cheap ammo and good.

Regards

Gunner
    The services of the great ones are dangerous and not worth the trouble they cost. Lessing, G.E.

I bought Win T-22 from CMP and it has shot very well for me in target bolt guns and my 1911A1 .22 ACE I like Aguila Subsonic yellow/purple box in bolt rifles it is quiet and accurate. Worst I ever shot was the winchester wildcat after 1 box it looked like you put gray sand in the action. I have not had misfire issues with any .22 ammo from bad priming.

Quote Originally Posted by Gyrene View Post
    According to the only real authorative study done on .22 Cal, "A Rifleman's Guide to Rimfire Ammunition" by Steven Boelter, Aguila use Eley priming technology (which they pay for), and Eley manufacturig equipment, installed by Eley (or Eley contractors). Many of their ammunition boxes have the Eley name on them.

Short of using Eley, I find that Aguila gives the closest approximation to the IDEAL .22 Cal. ammunition. I use it in my S&W Model 41, several S&W .22 Cal revolvers, my sons' 10/22, and my Winchester Model 52's (old .22 Cal target rifles). I have not had a problem with either Eley or Aguila; never had a misfire with them. Working at the rifle range, I see a tremendous mount of .22 Cal ammunition fired and the best is usually Eley, with Aguila close and Wolfe target coming in third. People do complain when they have problem, and the only complaint I have heard about Aguila is the same as for Eley and Wolfe: TOO Expensive!

Gyrene VSM - OFC

semper fi

`
    Well, then someone needs to prod their Quality Control Dept. I ended up destroying what was left from my experience with it. Guys I shoot with knew about it so selling it was out. I wouldn't recommend it to anybody. As for too expensive, I paid fifteen dollars each for both bricks. I don't call that expensive at all, AAMOF, it's cheap.

There's another real cheap, sorry ammo out there too, Colibri. It's not worth what it's made of.
    "Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas"
    Jeff Cooper

I've had great results using Armscor ammo in NATO calibers. (223, 308, 45acp) If fact, the 45acp was great!
    Aguila I've only used in 32 S&W Long and found it to be very accurate.

I think the very worst 22 LR ammo I ever used was the old Winchester Expediters. I did have a bad (terrible!) batch of Remingtons one time that I bought on clearance. Poor accuracy and three rim blowouts. Glad I didn't buy a lot of it as a partial brick was all that was left at that shop....who went out of business shortly afterward.

i had a couple boxes of remington subsonics, that were anything but,
    terrible consistanty

Dad picked up a few boxes from an ROTC buddy back in the 80's, some generic white box they were using in the schools,
    when it went off it shot good, too many duds tho,

It's interesting to hear the mixed reviews of Aguila .22 ammunition. The standard velocity stuff I got from the CMP is surefire and very accurate though from what I've read here folks results do seem to vary......

I had a couple of boxes of Remington Hi-Velocities that had quite a few duds. .22LR are usually pretty reliable.

Old thread...I know. I shot Standard Pistol on the U.C. Davis ROTC team in college 89-91. We were issued the generic-looking white box ammo. It was in fact Winchester target ammo and it worked OK. We competed against U. Nevada Reno all the time and THEY shot Eley Ten-X due to their deep-pockets. We traded them our GI .22 at the rate of a CASE (5000 rounds) for a BRICK (500).

I shot my personal High Standard Victor in competition and used my own ammo, usually. Its favorite was the Hansen Standard Velocity (not marked target or match). Never had any problems with duds or flyers. I DID have trouble with one of my magazines, though, and ran out of "Alibis" in one Sectional match that caused me to miss firing one round. I missed placing and going to Regionals by 3 points (any hit on a target would have given me at least 7 points and I NEVER missed scoring on targets). I was No 43 in the nation that year.

Rob

+ Reply to Thread