Turner Slings
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 30/40 ammo gift

Default 30/40 ammo gift

I was given about 60 rounds of old corrosive Krag ammo. Most are marked FA 07 and the rest RA 18. They have cupro nickel bullets.

With the RA, the primer has a capital R on it. Why was that done?

5MF would know! I think they did it to mess with your head ...

jn

5MF doesn't know but can take a guess. The guess, and a couple of bucks, will buy you a cup of coffee.

When the Krags were shipped to the "cantonments" they didn't have any ammunition for them. They started production.

Parallel to that Frankford made a big booboo. When they ramped up production of cartridges they discovered the primers they were making didn't fire. Moisture problems are what the claimed.

Frankford's cure was to buy primers from the other cartridge makers.

Did Remington mark primers as they were selling them to Frankford? I don't know. Sounds logical so there is likely a completely different reason which sounds illogical but is accurate.

I do know Winchester sold FA a lot of primers. Were those marked? I don't know.

Many ammunition companys in that period marked their primers.I have boxes of vintage commercial primers and shells that have the primers marked in various ways,among them Winchester,Remington,and U.S.Cartridge.No idea why other than advertising the product.

Some collectors have suggested marking the primers was done so the buyer was assured the ammunition wasn't reloaded ammunition being sold as factory.
    Last edited by JBinIll; 06-06-2010 at 04:04.

Strangely they weren't consistent.

Not reloaded - have an entire bandoleer of those. Also some marked RA with H 18 on the bottom - unmarked primers. RA 17s with marked primers.

So to get the answer we'd have to ask the Owl perhaps. He'd likely say "three."

Thanks guys. I do believe that I had my question answered. I will try to take some images of them for the forum's scrapbook

+ Reply to Thread